Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A Death that Lingers by Kaylie Newell ~PJ~

A Death That Lingers
by Kaylie Newell



Synopsis:

A wife leaves her abusive husband, but soon realizes nothing will keep him away. Not even death. Josie Collins is the wife of a world famous rock star and the envy of nearly every woman in the country. But the horrific truth is her husband wants nothing more than to see her dead. Josie finally summons the courage to leave her famous, abusive husband and returns to her hometown among the winter wheat of Kansas. When her husband is killed in a fiery car accident while on his way to find her, she thinks she has escaped him at last, but she's wrong. It quickly becomes clear that even in death he has no intention of letting her go. As Josie develops a rapport with sexy police chief, Paul Stark, trouble begins to brew. There's something special about the tall, mysterious officer with the long jagged scar down his face. But Josie soon learns that he's haunted by a nightmarish past. Sparks fly in their small, Midwestern town, and as their attraction grows, so does a dead husband's fury. In order to smother this dark, sinister spirit, and perhaps find true and lasting happiness with each other, the living must learn to let go, give in, and leave their ghosts in the past. Content Warning: Contains sensual sex and some explicit language.


My Review

As I stated on the blog (on facebook) as I started reading this book, so often because of the amount of new releases and new authors everyday sometimes good books can slip through your fingers.  Often times they can stay there until one day something brings you across it.  That is exactly what happened with author Kaylie Newell.  I was chatting with a very dear friend of mine (more a sister than friend) and she happened to mention her as relating to our topic.  I went and checked out Amazon and clicked on this book.  Upon reading the synopsis alone, I was caught hook, line and sinker.  I bought it without thinking twice and do not regret the money I spent on it.

Okay having said that and before I carry on with my review....Let's meet the heroine and hero as I saw them, shall we?


Meet Josie Collins..........


Josie finally gets the courage to leave her abusive husband.  Everyone fawned over him like he was a lost jewel and so rare.  Everyone wanted a piece of Liam Collins.  He had no problem giving them pieces and leaving his wife in the cold empty life she had with him.  If the emotional abuse wasn't bad enough....He physically abused her as well.  My heart broke for her.  Fear is a HUGE silencer for anything like this.  Many people say "They could have just walked away and yet they stayed.  It's their fault."  No it isn't.  This kind of situation isn't that easy.  Leaving is almost as scary as staying.  You only leave when you've hit rock bottom and know that no matter if you stayed or went the result could be the same.  Only with going you have a small chance to be free....  For Josie....she left, but wasn't free from him even after she died *shudders*


Meet Paul Stark...........



Chief of Police, Paul, has his own past he can't get past.  He tries to move through each day...one day at a time, but when he meets Josie that seems harder and harder to do.  He didn't want anyone to care about and disappoint again.  He didn't want to have someone to watch out for again.  He just wanted to be alone.  So why did Josie affect him the way she did?


This book grabbed me (as I said) in the synopsis alone and it did not disappoint in the story.  The book starts off with her leaving her evil husband.  She flashes back to moments of pure terror and pain as she's trying to hurry to get out of there before he gets home.  When she makes it to her grandparents house in Kansas is when her life starts to change and not the way she thought it would.

Josie immediately had a reaction to the Chief of Police and didn't like it.  When she was told that he died coming to get her with a gun in the car...Her last contact from him was a text saying "You're dead."....She should have felt relieved, but she didn't.  To her, it was like he never left.  Like he was hovering over her in death as he had in life.

Sparks fly between Josie and Paul.  Josie gives in after a while, but Paul fights it and fights it hard.  Strange things start happening to Josie and she can't explain them.  First they started out feelings...sensations and then other things happening.  My stomach was in knots for most of the book.  Seriously.


"I never would have asked you to give her up.  I know you'll always love her, Paul.  And you should.  She's a part of you."........ "All I was asking for was a chance." ~Josie~

"No," she squeaked.  "No."  Tears streamed down her cheeks and mingled with the blood there before falling in warm pink droplets onto her bare arms.  "This isn't happening." ~Josie~



There was a part where she goes to talk to a woman named, Eleanor.  I seriously got chills from that scene and a few others, but I don't want to give away the book.

This book was published in 2011 and I am seriously wish I would have read it the minute it came out.  Absolutely amazing read!  Everything was strong, flow was great and I just felt a part of the story.  This is unlike any other story that I have read and it makes it all the more attractive.  If you haven't read this book, you really need to.  It is well worth the money paid for it.  I am so glad I read it and plan on getting the rest as soon as I can. 

Mrs. Newell, you are on talented writer and I truly hope you have the success that your writing deserves.  Your ability to tell a story is off the charts amazing.  As a reader, I felt like a part of the book.  A part of Josie and Paul.  This book was beyond words and I can't wait to read your other books (once hubby gives me more book allowance LMAO!!!)  Thank you for taking the time and effort into putting this story out there.  It truly was an honor to read.

A DEFINITE MUST READ AS SOON AS YOU CAN!!!!  











2 comments:

  1. Yay! I loved this book too and I'm glad it is getting the recognition it deserves. Thanks for spreading the word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just surprised a book this good slipped through my fingers for so long. I have her other books on my TBR. She is EXTREMELY talented and deserves EVERY bit of success she gets!! So glad I read this book :)

      Delete