Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Review: Shattered Promises by J R Grant (Review by PJ)




In a perfect world, Lani Foster had it all; wonderful, supportive parents, two adorable little boys, an amazing husband whom she loved fiercely, and an unbreakable bond with her best friend, Parker, no one can tear apart.

But Lani never realized being happy would cost her years of pain, until tragedy strikes the Foster family, leaving her left hanging by a thread, questioning everything around her. 
Lies are exposed and secrets are brought to surface, destroying the one person who just wanted to feel loved- to be happy.

What do you do when you find out your marriage was nothing but a lie? Do you stand by the one person who abolishes your world? Or do you let go, and leave everything behind to start all over again?


Shattered Promises is about learning how to survive after the storm pulls you away. Everyone deserves a second chance to be happy, it's finding the special one to stand by your side and hold you in the rain.



Okay let me say this first... For Grant's first book, she knocked this one clear out of the park and maybe the parking lot!  Okay that said let's move into the story.

You start out with a Prologue that has you taking a shuttered breath with the intensity of the emotions that Grant was able to elicit from the reader (me). Lani is broken. But it's more than that really. Have you ever wondered how much you miss that sits right at the end of your nose? Sometimes we focus so much on the what's in front of us or behind us that we miss what sits there at the tip of our nose. 

Now, being a person who can relate to this story in a way, there were parts that had me in tears. What made it possible was Grant's incredible ability to describe the characters emotions without drowning me in details. I love knowing what my characters are seeing and feeling, but I don't need to know down to the speck of dust that fell to the ground. Grant gave me just enough to set me up and allowed me to fill in the rest. Because she was able to pull this off, it allowed me to fully dive into the story.

Okay all that aside, Lani marries the man that at first meeting she HATES. He was a best friend of her best friend, Parker. Oh, Parker. Talk about a loyal, caring, loving, seriously good looking man. If I had a best friend like that I'd certainly keep an EXTRA eye (and maybe more LMAO!!!) on him. 

Tragedy hits Lani when she's already weak. Things haven't been picture perfect in her life for a while, not that she's told anyone that. Not even her best friend. After that... nothing is the same and Lani starts losing herself. 

Parker who has loved her for so long, but never spoke on it, has to make a choice. Does he tell Lani everything he's finding out about Kade, her husband and his best friend? If he tells her, he'll be the one breaking her and he'd never dream of hurting her.  Eventually the decision is made for Parker.

GAH! For Lani she feels like she's been tossed out to sea with no life jacket. She's drowning and at times isn't even sure she wants to keep going.  The strength that eminates from Parker has my heart skipping a beat. Parker truly would have walked into the flames of hell if it'd save Lani any pain. I  loved loved loved Parker. hahahaha

JR Grant did such an amazing job on this book. It will leave you breathless, tear stricken, hopeful and so much more. I can't recommend this book enough. JR Grant has quickly jumped into my "Must Watch Authors" list and I can't wait to read more from her. If you haven't read this book, I can't stress what a heart touching story you are missing. If you've ever been loved and lied to, you can seriously relate to this book. If you haven't.... Hello there's Parker... need I say more? LMAO!!!!!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment